Pomegranate Syrup/Molasses

I made this dinner for Ethan for Valentine's day. It was super fun and super yummy. The pomegranate molasses was something I needed for one of the other recipes, but I couldn't find it anywhere here. I looked around online and found this recipe to make my own and it worked great. I think it would be a very strong syrup, but it would be yummy. Now I have some left over pomegranate molasses I need to use, so I guess I'll be looking for new recipes! This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups syrup or 1 cup molasses. I just made a half a batch though, so I don't have a ton left over.


What you need:
4 cups pomegranate juice (look in the refrigerator section by the Sunny D and other juices)
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice (I just used the lemon juice I keep im my fridge and it seemed to work fine) 

What you do:
For Syrup: Place the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice in a 4-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the mixture has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, approximately 50 minutes. It should be the consistency of syrup. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the saucepan for 30 minutes. Transfer to a glass jar and allow to cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

For Molasses: Place the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice in a 4-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the mixture has reduced to 1 cup, approximately 70 minutes. It should be the consistency of thick syrup. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the saucepan for 30 minutes. Transfer to a glass jar and allow to cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

See, super easy and a fun new ingredient!
I found this recipe at the Food Network website. I knew it had to be a good recipe because Alton Brown always knows what he's talking about.

No comments