Living Low-Carb

Since several of us Mower ladies are trying to follow a more low-carb lifestyle, I thought I'd share some of our favorite recipes. I'd thought about typing up posts for each individual meal, but then I realized that most of them are already available online anyways so why do extra work?! So, without further ado, here are 45 of our favorite Low-Carb/High-Fat recipes.

Key:
*Favorites
^Quick/easy


Breakfast:
Eggs are the easiest LC breakfast, but I have eaten so many of those that I can barely choke them down anymore. I often skip breakfast and just have a mid-morning snack to tide me over until lunch. When I do eat breakfast, here are some things that I eat:

*^LC Latte (No coffee. I have heavily adapted this recipe to fit what I typically have on hand, for the original see here)
Breakfast Balls
LC Waffles (with whipped cream and fruit or sugar-free Toriani syrup)
Devilled Eggs
LC Pancakes (with sugar-free Toriani syrup, usually vanilla flavor)
^Blueberry smoothie (you can sub whatever kind of berries you have on hand)

Snacks:
I find that as long as I have good snacks on hand I can do pretty well staying on the LC wagon. When I'm hungry I'm most likely to give in and grab something I shouldn't, so I use these snacks for a quick boost to keep me going until I can eat a healthy meal. 

Nuts (peanuts and roasted/salted pecans are my favorite, just don't eat too many!)

*Cookie Dough Fat Bombs (this is my favorite recipe, but you can make any flavor you want by mixing equal parts cream cheese and butter with whatever flavors/sweeteners you like)

Meat and Cheese Roll Ups (yes, roll a slice of cheese in a slice of lunch meat. Add a squirt of mustard for flavor and/or a smear of mayo for extra satiety.)

Pepperoni Slices
String Cheese


Lunch:
For lunch most days we eat a salad with lots of toppings. I typically buy a head each of iceberg and romaine lettuce, as well as a bunch of spinach. Chop it all up and it will stay good in the fridge all week for lunches and sides for dinner. If I'm not eating a salad I'm probably eating leftovers or some tuna with mayo on some LC crackers.
To make our salads nice and filling we try to add as much fat as possible while keeping the carbs down to a minimum. Some salad toppings we like are:

Sunflower seeds
Olives
Pepperoni
Sliced lunch meat
Leftover meat from dinner the night before
Cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, Parmesan, a pinch of feta, whatever we have and sometimes a bit of each)
Fried Spam (diced)
Bacon Bits
Peanuts
Roasted pecans
Sliced green onions
Slivers of bell pepper
Tomato
Avocado
Boiled Egg, diced
Cucumber Slices


Dinner:
While Breakfast and Lunch tend to be along the lines of the Standard American Diet for our kids, the whole family eats Low-Carb at Dinner. Instead of trying to make up for the bulk that we lose when we ditch the carbs, we focus on finding ways to get fats into our meals to fill us up instead. 
Here are 30 of our favorite dinner recipes:

*Savory Chicken Sandwiches on Oopsie/Cloud Bread
^LC Pizza (This crust tastes okay fresh and hot, but is most like a real pizza crust the day after. You can also use fat-head dough for the crust.)
^LC Tex-Mex Casserole (I sub diced green chili for the Jalapenos, but it's up to you)
Pesto Chicken Casserole (just go a little light on the Feta, maybe only use 3/4 and save the rest to go on salads)
^LC Burgers over a pile of lettuce
*SW Hassleback Chicken
Hamburger Gratin (we're not big fans of Brussels Sprouts around here so we sub in some cubed butternut squash)
Pulled Pork and *Coleslaw
Shredded Chicken Tacos 
Cheesy Taco Skillet
Stuffed Zucchini 
*^Cheesy Chicken Skillet Dinner
Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu
Tacos in LC Taco Shells or on Fat-Head Dough fry-breads (bake first, then fry)
*LC Pork Picatta
*Rosemary Balsamic Pork Cutlets
Parmesan Chicken (bread with Parmesan, almond flour, salt/pepper, and Italian seasoning)
^Pork Chops in Red Pesto
*Chicken in Creamy Parmesan Sauce with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
Baked Eggs (could also be a breakfast option)
*^Keilbasa and Cabbage
Egg-Roll Stir-Fry
^*Chicken Stir-Fry Sheet Pan Meal
*Creamy Lemon Chicken Picatta (sub almond flour in the breading)
One Pan Balsamic Chicken and Veggies
Chicken Lazone (skip the pasta, eat a salad or serve over veggies)
Creamy Cauliflower and Leftover Ham Soup
*Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana
Lasagna with Ham "noodles"


Side Dishes:
I will admit that the area that lacks the most variety in our Low-Carb life is our side dishes. We eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower, and I'm trying to branch out and find yummy new ways to cook different veggies. So far here are some that we've liked:

Roasted Summer Squash
Baked Parmesan Zucchini
Roasted Cabbage Steaks
^Cauliflower Mash
*LC Coleslaw
Roasted Butternut Squash (sprinkle with Parmesan after it's cooked)



Sweet Treats:
We don't make treats very often anymore, but sometimes you just can't shake the cravings and need a good way to satisfy them without falling off the wagon. Typically when this happens I grab a handful of salted peanuts and a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips to munch on. If I want to put in a bit more effort here are some other yummy things we've made:
Low Carb Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake



No comments