1 c. white sugar
- Before you do anything else, prepare a flat surface to pour the nuts onto. For one batch I put wax paper on a cookie sheet, and another batch I just put the wax paper on the counter. Both worked fine.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, cream of tartar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook until it reaches the soft ball stage, stirring to keep from scorching.
- Quickly pour in the vanilla and then the pecans. Stir quickly to coat the nuts.
- Spread the nuts onto a hard surface (as prepared in step #1) and quickly separate with a fork before they harden (and stick together).
- Let cool and then enjoy!