Pasta all' Amatriciana

This is a recipe I got from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals cook book. She calls it Bucatini all'Amatriciana, but I didn't use bucatini pasta so it seemed silly to call it that. I didn't have all the ingredients originally called for in her recipe so I kind of adapted it to work with what I had and to suit our taste. I will list all the ingredients as she originally had them, and then in parenthesis note the changes I made. If there's nothing in paranthesis, that means I didn't change that ingredient.

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil (vegetable oil)

1/4 lb pancetta, chopped (1/2 lb bacon, chopped)

1 med. onion, chopped

4-6 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp red pepper flakes (a generous sprinkle of red chili powder)

1 can, 28 oz, crushed tomatoes (2 cans, 14 oz, petite diced tomatoes + 1 can tomato sauce)

2 TBS chopped fresh parsley (1 TBS dried parsley flakes)

salt and pepper

1 lb bucatini pasta (spaghetti)

grated parmesan (I also added some shredded mozzarella)

(I wanted creamier sauce, so I added two large spoonfuls of sour cream)

Method:

Put a large pot of salty water on to boil for your pasta. Put the past in as soon as your water's boiling. Cook pasta to al dente.

Meanwhile, heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and pancetta(bacon). Cook for 2-3 minutes, and then add the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes(chili powder). Cook until the onions are translucent, 7-8 minutes. Add tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper(this is where I added the sour cream). Simmer over low heat until your pasta is done cooking and you are ready to serve.

When your pasta is done, drain it well, but don't rinse it, and toss it in the sauce. Sprinkle with the cheeses and enjoy.

1 comment

  1. Mmm, that looks good. Thank you for sharing. I just shouldn't be on here when I am hungry....
    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete