Country Style Apple Tart

The other day I was craving apple pie, but didn't want to go to the hassle of making a pie. I started looking through my fridge/cupboards and realized that I had everything I needed to make a cheater version, so using what I had on hand and kinda following a recipe from my Betty Crocker cook book, this is what I came up with. It was super yummy!
What you need:
Pastry for a one crust pie (I had a box of puff pastry in my freezer from a recipe I made a few weeks ago, so I used this instead of making my own)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 apples (Granny Smith, or some similar variety) thinly sliced (you could use a can of apple pie filling instead)
1 TBS butter or margarine
Granulated sugar, if desired (I used some cinnamon sugar that was left over from something I'd made the day before)

What you do:
Heat oven to 425. Make pastry and roll into a 13 inch circle (my pasty came in rectangles, so that's the shape I went with). Place on a large, ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap to keep pastry moist while making filling.
In large bowl mix brown sugar and flour and stir in the apples. Mound apple mixture on center of pastry to within 3 inches of edge (It will be a big mound, but the apples shrink down when they cook) Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle over apples. Fold edges of pastry up over apples, making pleats so it lays flat on apples (it won't cover all the fruit, but that's okay. I had enough pasty in my freezer to do a loose lattice of pastry over the top of mine, but you don't have to do that part). Sprinkle pastry with sugar (as I said, I used cinnamon sugar)
Bake 30-35 minutes  or until crust is light golden brown (if you used cinnamon sugar on top it will be hard to tell when it's done. Poke the crust with your finger and see if it feels done). To prevent over-browning, you can cover the center of the pie with a square of tinfoil during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time. Cool on the cookie sheet on a wire rack for 1 hour, or serve warm if desired.

We couldn't wait for it to cool. I think we lasted all of five minutes before we caved and dug into it. We put big scoops of vanilla ice cream on top and let it melt down into the filling, and it was awesome! I think next time I'll put some cinnamon and nutmeg in the filling, but it was still really good!

1 comment