Creamy Tomato Pasta

I saw this one on pinterest and knew I had to give it a try. It was so yummy! It was just as good as something you'd pay good money for in a restaurant, but I made it myself and it was easy peasy! I made a few changes for mine (mostly because I didn't have some ingredients, so I had to make do with what I had), and I'm going to be rebellious and just put what I did in this recipe. If you want to see what the original recipe said feel free to click on the link above (theirs has half and half in place of some of the milk I used, so it's probably richer and fattier and therefore yummier, just so you know)
What you need for the tomato sauce:
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
olive oil
What you need for the alfredo sauce:
1 TBS butter
2 tsps flour
1 cup milk
2 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 1/2-2 cups short cut pasta (bowtie, macaroni, shells, whatever)

What you do:
1. Start a large pot of water boiling for your pasta. Add the pasta to the water as soon as it comes to a boil and cook according to the package directions. Meanwhile:
2. Put your onion, garlic, and olive oil (for your tomato sauce) into a sauce pan and let sweat for 5 minutes or until soft. (This means you are cooking them on a low-med heat setting until they are soft, but not letting them brown.)
3. Add the tomatoes to the onion and garlic. (I blended mine in a little food processor first so they were a little chunky, but not really. You can do this or not, whatever you prefer. You could also use a blender for this job) Let cook for around 15 minutes.
4.While the pasta and tomato sauce are cooking, make the alfredo sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook about 2 minutes, until brown.
5. Whisk in the milk and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Continue whisking; bring to a simmer and cook about 2 intues until thickened. Fish out the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
6. Whisk in the parm. The sauce will be very thick, so you can add 1/3 cup or so of the pasta water to the sauce to thin it. Remove from heat.
7. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Mix the basil into the tomato sauce and add that to the pasta. Mix well and enjoy!

No comments