Eggplant Parmesan


Eggplant has always weirded me out a little bit, I don't know why. This past year I finally broke down and tried it, and so far I like it...in the one recipe I've had it in. This is a really yummy and easy recipe. Cameron told me just now "Anytime you suggest this I think, ew, but then it always tastes really good and hits the spot when you make it." Give it a try! 

We got an eggplant in this past week's Bountiful Basket and decided to just stick to what we know and do this recipe. We'll try a new eggplant recipe someday, but for now, we love this one. 

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
3 eggs
about 1 c. of Parmesan cheese
marinara pasta sauce
extra spices as desired (I used onion powder, garlic powder, and cajun seasoning this time around)

How to make it:
1. Usually I peel the eggplant (with a knife), but I forgot to this time and it didn't make a difference in the taste. 
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/2" thick slices (like you were slicing up a cucumber, so not lengthwise). 
3. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam (or grease it however you normally grease your pans). 
4. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them (just so they are all mixed up). 
5. Pour the Parmesan onto a plate and if you want add a few shakes of any extra spices you want. It's great with spices, it's great withough. 
6. Dip each piece of eggplant in the egg, then coat with the parmesan on both sides. Place on the cookie sheet. Don't overlap the eggplant pieces on the pan. They can touch, but you don't want them overlapping or they won't cook quite the same. 
8. Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes (or until the parmesan starts turning goldenish), then remove from oven, flip over each piece. 
9. Spoon the marinara sauce over each piece, then return the pan to the oven and bake for another 5 or so minutes (until the sauce has warmed up). 
10. Take out and enjoy!

This makes 2 good size plates full.  

No comments